INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
* 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
* 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
* 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained
* 1/4 cup diced red onion
* 1 beaten egg
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
* 1 tablespoon salt-free herb seasoning blend
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 slices mild Cheddar cheese
* 1 pita bread round
* 1/4 cup prepared Ranch salad dressing
* 2 leaves romaine lettuce
* 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
* 1/2 avocado – peeled, pitted and sliced
1. Place walnuts and sunflower seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl, mash garbanzo beans with a fork, or chop in a food processor. Stir in the onion, egg, parsley, and toasted nuts. Season with pepper and seasoning blend, and mix well.
3. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Divide the bean mixture into 2 patties, and fry in the hot oil for about 3 minutes on each side, or until well browned and heated through. Place a slice of cheese over each patty, and remove from heat.
4. Place the pita round in the same dry skillet the nuts were in, and heat for about 1 minute on each side. Cut the round in half, spread ranch dressing inside of each, and line the pockets with romaine leaves. Place a cheesy patty into each one, and top with sliced tomato and avocado. Serve with tortilla or potato chips.